The antique vehicles event ‘We drive 2013’ has already become a tradition. This year it was held in Pasvalys without the initiator and continuing organizer Eugenijus Malinauskas. He left us unexpectedly before the festival. Eugenijus was honoured giving the title of event on his behalf.
The festival of historical technical was started by a party of the participants, sponsors and guests of honour in Balsiai Mill on the 3 May. With all its beauty and charm, it shined in Sinkholes Park on Saturday, 4 May. Not only shined perfectly restored vintage cars, motorcycles, trucks, sheen, but also the joy of ancient vehicles enthusiasts and spectators’ eyes. It is a pleasure that the antique vehicles club “Klasika” has contributed to these entertaining moments, presenting to audience attention even seventeen exhibits of historical vehicles.
The event began with an ancient vehicle participants’ registration. This year, the festival was attended by 113 historical transport means. The antique vehicles’colomns were joined by numerous bikers and they altogether in united parade announced the beginning of the festival “Eugenijus … We Drive”. Driving through the old Pasvalys cemetery, the united column honoured the initiator of this festival Eugenijus by the thunder of horns. The participants and spectators were not bored when they arrived to Pasvalys Sinkholes Park and aligned the antique vehicles according the producer countries and production time. The festivities were to accept the old and the young, to listen to music, watch karate athletes’ performances, to get interested in modern fire-fighters’ equipment. Finally, everyone could taste a good meal, drink soft drinks and „live“ Pasvalys beer.
Mostly visitors were attracted by club “Klasika” member’s Dalius Linkevicius steam machine, “Port Huron”, made in 1921. When the driver S. Kubilius set up fire in the furnace and made the steam engine to work, it was impossible to tear eyes from this old machine. By the way, it was the first time after the restoration of the steam engine has been started and run the job.
In this festival, two new ‘”Klasika” members had a debut. It was the first exhibition for them. Gediminas Aleksandravicius demonstrated a rare 1955 car, Studebaker Commander, and Marius Gasparenas came with a beautifully restored 1959 “Moskvich 407”. Dalius Linkevicius drove in by just restored militia car, “Volga”, produced in 1966. Congratulations to them!
The evening celebration was extended by the Second World War battle theatricalises with the Military use of air strikes, explosions, shoot-out, and a smokescreen. Fortunately, this battle ended peacefully and former enemies – the Russians and the Germans – not just exchanged smiles, but a handshake. Well, then, halfway of Igor Berino bands performance, the sky went festive fire rounds of laser light, which announced the end of the event.
The celebration ended, leaving the great memories and the desire to meet the next year. Thanks to the audience, participants and organizers!
Thank you Eugenijus… We still are driving!
Dainius Nagele photos